Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Kate Winslet as Mildred Pierce



So. . . award winning director Todd Haynes, who directed that wonderful Douglas Sirkian masterpiece Far From Heaven is bringing us a faithful adapatation of James M. Cain's Mildred Pierce. This five part mini-series will air on HBO in March, and unlike the 1945 film starring Joan Crawford, this version is giving us everything the censors would not let Warner Brothers give us the first time.
I am a fan of Kate Winslet and since this film, like the Coen Brother's True Grit, is loyal to its source material I hope Winslet will not suffer from endless comparisons between her performance and Crawford's. Although, when thinking about casting I could also envision Mildred being played by Cate Blanchett, or Rachel Weisz, or even Tilda Swinton.

I am optomistic about this. Usually, I cringe when I hear that such and such classic is being remade. But, with Todd Haynes as director I have my fingers crossed. He has shown that he is very adept at period melodrama. With Far From Heaven, which could have crossed the line to either corny or camp, he produced a thoughful and beautiful women's picture in the classic model. I wonder what Ann Blyth thinks about all this. . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment